Hopping in Alaska!
One day during the SSQQ Alaska Cruise, a
group of intrepid adventurers decided to take a
visit to the Aleutian Islands. This wasn't a
"ship-sponsored" tour but rather one that Mara had investigated ahead of
time on the Internet and talked her friends into joining.
Mara had read there was a ferry that took
off from Unimak Island at the very tip off the Alaskan Peninsula.
Each day the ferry was scheduled to visit six
different islands that day including Attu, Atka, Adak, Amchita, Tanaga,
and Kiska. So the group rented a car at Ketchikan, Alaska and drove down
to Unimak, Island.
However once they got on board the ferry, the Group -
which included George (Mr. Handsome), Steve (The Great Gabino), Gary (Da
Jammer), Mara, Veronique (Very Unique), and Phyllis (Center of Attention)
realized they had misunderstood how the trip worked. They would only be
able to visit one island all day long!
The Aleutian Islands have a very interesting history, especially back in
WW II when several of the islands were actually occupied by the Japanese.
And there were different volcanoes to see, polar bears,
whales, seals, kayaking trips, and glaciers too.
The Group was so disappointed once they
realized their mistake. Mara was embarrassed that she
had misunderstood how the ferry trip worked. Now they would be
limited to seeing just one of the six islands on the trip.
That is when the Great Gabino had a great Gabino idea! Why
not have a different person
get off at each port, tour the island, take pictures, and give a report on
their island later that night during dinner! Such
a clever boy!
The group immediately agreed this was a very
The map shows the route taken by the
ferry from Unimak Island.
From the clues given below, can you name:
|Each of the 6 islands in the order they were visited,
|Along with the name of its main port,
|Plus the name of the passenger who left the ferry at
of these stopping points?
1. When the ferry reached Massacre Bay on the island
of Attu, Mr. Handsome had already departed. Mara left the ferry at the
2. The first stop on the circular route is the harbor at Korovin Bay.
3. It was not the Great Gabino who disembarked at Island 2; the next port
reached after his departure was Vega Bay.
4. Very Unique's ticket was for the island of Adak, which is later in the
circuit than the island of Atka.
5. Island 3 on the map is Tanaga
6. One of the female passengers left the ferry at the island of Kiska.
7. Da Jammer was the last of the six passengers to reach his destination.
8. The harbor where the Center of Attention left the ferry was Cape Sasmik,
which is a later stop in the journey than Beyer Bay.
9. Amchita Island was one of the six stops and East Cape was one of the
About the Puzzle:
This one is pretty tough. Sorry, no hints. Good
Send your answers to Rick Archer at
Thanks for playing!