The Social Dance Training School
teaches its students to become Professional Dance
Instructors. Once their students complete their training, the
Training School arranges
interviews between its graduating students and prospective employers.
One day this past spring, 5 future instructors
had interviews scheduled with the owners
from 5 different dance studios
(one owner was Ms. Exner).
Each student met individually with each of the five studio owners.
The day was quite full as each Studio Owner interviewed
the five different
future instructors at 9 am, 10 am, 11
am, 1 pm, and 2 pm.
From the clues below, can you determine the
|Each future dance teacher's
full name (one last name is Norman)|
|His or her dance
|The name of the
five studio owners and the name of their business|
|Plus the complete interview
- Ms. Orwell's interview with Mr. Alton was two hours later than the
- Isaac met with Mr. Bastrop one hour after being interviewed by the
owner of Quickstep College.
- Heidi's last name isn't Kellogg.
- Grace met with Dr. Combs an hour before her interview with the
Elegance Academy owner.
- Jack's dance major was Swing.
- Mr. Bastrop interviewed Heidi an hour before interviewing Ms.
- The Disco Tech owner interviewed the Ballroom major in the
- Kellogg's interview with the Quickstep College owner was not at
- Fiona and Mr. Alton met at 2:00.
- Grace's 9:00 interview was not with Mr. Alton.
- The Western dance major's 2:00 interview was not with the All That
- Fiona's 1:00 appointment was not with Mr. Combs.
- Grace and Mr. Drecker met at 1:00.
- The Tango major's interview with the SSQQ owner
was an hour before Short's.
- Grace isn't the Salsa major.
- Mr. Alton is not the Elegance Academy owner.
So What does Rick have to say about the Puzzle?
I say, "Oh boy, you better watch out! Don't do this one
if you are a beginner."
This puzzle is very difficult. In fact, I think
it is definitely one of the three hardest puzzle I have ever submitted.
Just as an example, I went back and solved it again in 2008 three
years after my first shot at it. It took me THREE TRIES to get
it right! So if you are a beginner
at solving logic puzzles, either steer clear or expect a bumpy ride.
I suggest you construct several "Logic Charts" because you have a
lot of facts to keep track of. I used three different charts in
The people who solve this one have the right to
be known as true Logic Aces.
Send your answers to Rick Archer at
Please put this as the Subject: Logic Puzzle
Names of People Who Have Solved This Puzzle:
- Roberto Ramirez - May 2008
- Rick Archer - May 2008